Over time, Rompetrol Rafinare has developed into a role-model for the local refining industry. The results of the last 3 years have been constantly improved under the umbrella of the sustainable approaches we adopted to each of our initiatives: investments in cleaner technologies; better product quality; reduced operating costs; and reduced energy consumption.
The key drivers for our current outstanding performance were implementation and compliance with high standards, as well as the care we show to our people and the environment.
A promise for next generations
We have committed to ourselves and to all stakeholders to pursue our business and develop our products in full compliance with the local environmental legislation applicable in each area where our company operates.
To keep this promise, we developed internal strategies which we observe and constantly update. Abiding by these internal guidelines, we are able to harmonize our operational objectives with the strictest environmental rules and regulations.
Strategies for minimizing environmental impact
- Aligning out activities and facilities to the domestic and international environmental regulations and requirements.
- Minimizing environmental incidents and consumption of natural resources by proper training, improved processes and technological progress
- Improving the certified environmental management system (ISO 14001) implemented across all of our facilities.
- Reducing the different polluting and greenhouse gas emissions by optimizing operations and technologies for better energy efficiency.
- Delivering regular training to our employees on means to mitigate the impact on environment.
- Reducing waste resulted from out operations, in particular hazardous waste.
2017 - Record highs for production, and low impact on environment
- The Energy Intensity Index (EII) reached a record figure - 99.9%
- EII reduction by 15 points v. 2012 (99.99 v. 114.9)
- 44% cut down of the processing cost
- 6.7% drop in CO2 emissions
- 5% reduction of energy consumption (3.04 GJ/to), considering the 16,700 tons of feedstock processed per day
- 2.2% reduction of energy consumption (2.65 GJ/to), considering the 1,022 tons of feedstock processed per day
- 12% reduction of NOx and SO2 emissions
- 7% reduction of energy consumption (18.7 GJ/to), considering the 166,444 tons of feedstock processed per day
- 4% reduction of water consumption in Petromidia Refinery and the Petrochemical Division
2016 - Benchmark for improvement
- the lowest Energy Intensity Index (measuring energy efficiency) - 97.94%
- the lowest processing cost over the last 10 years - USD 16.7/t
- 8% drop in CO2 emissions
- the lowest level of process losses - 1.1% wt
- the lowest processing cost - USD 39,7/mt;
- 4% reduction of energy consumption (down to 2.71 GJ/t)
- 7% reduction of water consumption
- 2.5% less energy consumed v. 2015
- 18% drop in CO2 emissions
- 23% less water consumed in Petromidia Refinery and the Petrochemical Division